Financial Resources for Veterans
Spouse & Dependents Benefits
Dependents Fee Waiver
To be eligible, students must:
- Have a parent who is a disabled veteran (0% or more disabled); or
Have a spouse who is service-connected (S/C) deceased or rated 100% S/C disabled.
- Be a child earning less than $11,161 per year (student's income, not parents').
Note: there is no income limit for a spouse or children of S/C deceased or 100% S/C veterans.
- Attend a California Community College, California State University, or a University of California school.
- Provide proof of the student's relationship to the veteran such as a copy of a birth or marriage certificate.
- More information is available at California College Fee Waiver Program
Chapter 33: Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to dependents
Chapter 35: Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) Program
- If you have never used your VA benefits before, submit VA Form 22-5490 , Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance. (Required for spouses and dependents of totally disabled or deceased service-connected veterans.
- If you have previously used your VA benefits, submit VA Form 22-5495 , Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance.
- Include official transcripts from all schools attended after high school