New Veteran Students
Attention New Veterans!
In addition to the mandatory Transfer Orientation requirement, all new student veterans are strongly encouraged to attend the Veterans' Welcome and Information Session before the Fall or Spring semester. It is a great opportunity to meet other student veterans, be introduced to Veterans Student Services staff, and hear about events and services that are available to you.
You can register for this next semester's Welcome and Information Session by completing this form. Sessions that are on half day orientation dates will have lunch provided.
The Transfer Orientation fee is deferred for student veterans with an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of $0. All veteran transfer students will have their Transfer Orientation fee waived if they attend our Veterans' Welcome and Information Session on the same day. If you choose to do your transfer orientation online, you are still welcome and encouraged to attend any of our welcome sessions provided.
If you have any questions please call (657)278-8660 for more information.
- Join the Student Veterans Association
VA Certification Documents
Turn in the following documents to the Veterans Certification Office (LH 563) to receive your priority registration status and to initiate GI Bill processing.
- DD-214 (Member Copy 4)
- Certificate of Eligibility - Post-9/11 G.I. Bill (Chapter 33) (must have 12 units for full benefits)
Proof of Eligibility - Montgomery G.I. Bill (Chapter 30, 1606, 1607) (must have 12 units for full benefits)
VA Form 22-1995, Application for change of institution (if transferring from another school)
VA Form 22-1990, Application for new benefits (if first time use of benefits)
Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) - Have your vocational rehabilitation counselor contact our certifcation officer for submittal of necessary forms
Important Documents to Submit
- Take your immunization record to the Student Health & Counseling Center
- Submit immunization waiver form
- Make sure to turn in your official transcripts with your final grades from your previous school(s) on time (submit electronically or hand carry) at Admissions & Records
- Be sure to also submit military transcripts to Admissions & Records
General Education Certification
- Obtain CSU or IGETC certification from your previous institution and submit to Admissions & Records. This may qualify you for exemption from up to two 3-unit classes.
How do I apply for financial aid?
- Go online to the FAFSA web site
- Apply for Financial Aid with the CSUF Office of Financial Aid
- Submission deadline is March 2nd for loan, work study, and grant opportunities
Can I also enroll at the Irvine Campus?
Yes, you may also enroll in classes offered at the CSUF Irvine Campus.
Who can advise me about the transfer process?
- Your community college or university transfer center
- CSUF Transfer Center in Langsdorf Hall 501B, Telephone: (657)278-3358
When can I apply to CSUF?
- For the Spring Semester, please contact the Veterans' Student Services office at (657)278-8660.
- The Fall Semester application period deadline begins on October 1st and ends on November 30th of the year prior to intended enrollment at CSUF.
Is the Transfer Student Orientation mandatory?
Yes. It must be completed prior to your CSUF registration date. There are three options:
- Full day
- Half day
Visit the Transfer Students Orientation page to sign up for orientation or to complete the online orientation.
Is there an orientation offered specifically for student veterans?
Yes. It is strongly recommended for student veterans to attend the new student orientation half-day morning session, and the Veterans Student Services orientation offered in the afternoon on the same date.
- Our Veterans Welcome and Information Session will be on January 15th where you can meet other student veterans like yourself. Our session will be held in University Hall 205 from 9:00am to 12:00pm. We will cover information specific to our student veteran population. We will have light refreshments, including breakfast in the morning and lunch in the afternoon. You can RSVP online here or by calling the VSS office at (657) 278-8660.