Quick Start Guide
California State University, Fullerton subscribes to COS Pivot; a searchable database of funding opportunities available to all faculty, staff, students and administrators. If you are interested in finding $$ funding for research, travel, curriculum development, scholarships and more, read this Quick Start Guide and follow the steps under Your COS Pivot Account.
Your COS Pivot Account
If you do not have a current COS or COS Pivot account, you will need to create one:
- Go to http://pivot.cos.com/
- Click on the Sign Up (upper right corner) link
- Complete the required fields and be sure to use your full CSUF email address (email@example.com). You will not be able to create an account with any other email address.
- Select California State University, Fullerton from the pull-down menu.
- Click the Create my account button and follow the prompt.
- Use your …firstname.lastname@example.org email as COS Pivot Username (just your name or CSUF email ID will not work).
- Use your campus portal password as COS Pivot password for convenience.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0
- Firefox 3.6.x and 4.x.
Claiming an Existing Profile
Claiming an existing COS Pivot profile is not required in order to use COS Pivot. You can conduct searches using keywords and queries. However, if you do not claim your profile, you cannot update it. Also, the Pivot Advisor makes funding opportunities recommendations for you, based on your claimed profile.
To claim an existing profile:
1) Log in to COS Pivot. http://pivot.cos.com/
2) In the upper right‐hand corner, your name is displayed. If you see a Claim profile link, you know there is not a profile linked to your COS Pivot account. Click the Claim profile link.
3) A list of potential profile matches (from within your institution) may be displayed. If no matches occur, you can choose to look for potential matches outside your institution by clicking on the appropriate checkbox above the results list.
4) If you locate your profile from the results list, click the This is me button to the right of the profile name. If no results display, click the Suggest a scholar link located to the left of the results list and follow the instructions on the right side of this page.
5) Confirm whether or not you still have access to the email address listed on your COS Pivot profile.
6) If you confirm that you still have access to the email on your profile, you will receive verification email to that address that will link your profile to your account and will grant you access to update your profile.
7) If you do not have access to one of the emails displayed, select I no longer have access to any of the above email addresses and hit the submit button and you will be taken to a form to complete to request access to edit your profile. The information submitted will be reviewed and once validated, you will receive an email at the new email address submitted which links your profile to your account and grants you access to update your profile.
To create a COS Pivot profile for yourself (or someone else):
1) Click the Suggest a scholar link on any profile search results page.
2) Enter the name of the person you would like a profile created for.
3) Once you submit the name, you will be shown a list of profiles that have already been created that may represent the person you wish to have added.
4) If you find a profile from the list that represents the person you wish to have added, no further steps are required, since a profile already exists.
5) If no profiles are returned or none of the profiles from the list represent the person you wish to have added, click the No match button.
6) You will be brought to a new page where you will be prompted to enter some information about the person you wish to have added. Fill out as much information as you can, paying attention to the required fields.
7) Click the Submit button when finished.
8) Once a profile for the person has been created, you will receive a confirmation from the COS Pivot Editorial Team.
Tip: Add immediate value to your COS Pivot profile by uploading your CV or publication page. Empower the COS Pivot search to find funding for you and for you to be found as a collaborator or subject expert for other researchers!
3 million profiles ...and growing