EMBRACE – Educating Myself for Better Racial Awareness and Cultural Enrichment
The EMBRACE track is a collaboration between the Student Leadership Institute and the Multicultural Leadership Center that provides training in leadership as it relates to cultural sensitivity, diversity, and social justice by promoting effective intercultural communication.
Peer facilitators present six, 2-hour cross-cultural communication workshops that: increase awareness of cultural frames of references; examine the impact of stereotypes on cross-cultural interactions; highlight the benefits of thinking consciously about our behavior; and teach participants skills that promote effective communication across groups.
Students must complete all workshops in sequence and in the same semester:
- It's Hard to See the Picture When You're Inside the Frame (2 hours)
- Stereotypes…Helpful or Harmful (2 hours)
- Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Part 1 (2 hours)
- Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Part 2 (2 hours)
- Being Flexible In A Changing World (2 hours)
- A Reason to Change (2 hours)
To sign up for the EMBRACE track, you must first apply to the Student Leadership Institute.
Please visit this link:
You will need to attend one of the New Participant Orientations. These orientations are designed to provide you with:
- An overview of the Student Leadership Institute
- Description about each of the 7 leadership tracks
- Information about the experiential component
- Details about how to declare a track and enroll in workshops – this is when you can enroll in EMBRACE!
The PDF files in this site require Adobe Reader version 9.40 or greater. Click here to get latest Adobe Reader.