EMBRACE (Educating Myself for Better Racial Awareness and Cultural Enrichment) is an award-winning collaboration between the Student Leadership Institute (SLI) and the MLC that provides training as it relates to cultural sensitivity, diversity, and multicultural understanding by promoting effective intercultural communication.
The EMBRACE Facilitator leadership position provides students with a unique opportunity to acquire knowledge and skills that are essential for improving inter-group interaction. Facilitators are trained to present six consecutive 2-hour cross-cultural communication workshops that: increase awareness of cultural frames of references; examine the impact of stereotypes on cross-cultural interactions; highlight the benefits of thinking consciously about our behavior; and teach participants skills that promote effective communication across groups. Typically two cohorts are offered each semester on different days and times of the week.
Requirements and Expectations
- Commit 10 hours per week: 2 hours of prep/study; 2 hours of mandatory training;
- 2 hour practice sessions; 3 hours workshop implementation; 1 hour program promotion;
- Assist in the recruitment of participants for the SLI / EMBRACE track;
- Participate in facilitator meetings before the workshops and evaluation meetings after the workshops;
- Completion of EMBRACE – SLI Track (6 core workshops); can be substituted with other, comparable experience that includes facilitation or presentation experience and experience guiding or leading discussions
- Demonstrated knowledge about issues related to diversity, multiculturalism, and/or cultural pluralism;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent critical thinking skills and analytical skills;
- Strong time management, organizational, and planning skills;
- Ability to work with diverse groups;
- Ability to take initiative and exercise sound judgment;
- Must have completed a minimum of 2 semesters at Cal State Fullerton;
- Minimum cumulative 2.75 GPA.
Skills Gained Through This Position
- Planning, development, and implementation of diversity-themed workshops.
- Advanced leadership development, workshop planning, and intercultural communication skills.
- Mentoring and guided learning related to a variety of themes, topics, and issues.
- Increased self-awareness and cultural sensitivity.
- The Multicultural Leadership Center will be open from 8:00am to 5:00pm, Mondays through Fridays.
- Interns will be scheduled to work accordingly, depending on availability. Hours are variable.
- Complete the application. (EMBRACE Facilitator Application Spring 2013).
- Return the application and supporting materials by December 7, 2012 (earlier preferred) to the Dean of Students Office (TSU 235). Please include a copy of your Fall 2012 course schedule and work availability.
- Participate in an interview for the position. You will be called to arrange an interview time.
The PDF files in this site require Adobe Reader version 9.40 or greater. Click here to get latest Adobe Reader.