Desserts and Dialogue Intern
Desserts and Dialogue is a series of monthly, one-hour discussions facilitated by faculty or staff with expertise on a specific topic. This program provides a forum to explore issues that concern Cal State Fullerton’s diverse student body. Topics that have been explored include elections, immigration reform, same sex marriage, and Islamaphobia.
Through thoughtful discussion of significant themes, Desserts and Dialogue provides a venue in which students can participate in a free exchange of ideas, become involved and feel inclusion into the CSUF community, and recognize the unique concerns of CSUF’s diverse student body.
Discussions are generally scheduled on a weekday afternoon usually in the Titan Student Union or the MLC.
The Desserts and Dialogues Coordinator will:
- Coordinate, organize, and implement monthly Desserts and Dialogue series.
- Identify topics for discussion and develop critical and analytical discussion questions.
- Recruit faculty and staff who are knowledgeable about the topics and who would be willing to lead and facilitate the discussions.
- Promote discussion events through printed publications and electronic bulletin boards as well as contacting appropriate campus organization and department leaders.
- Reserve rooms and arrangements for refreshments.
- Evaluate and assess discussion events, including development of evaluation forms and data analysis.
- Recruit other facilitators and meet periodically with Desserts and Dialogue committee to plan future discussion.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent critical thinking skills and analytical skills;
- Strong time management, organizational, and planning skills;
- Strong marketing and program promotion skills;
- Ability to deal with ambiguity;
- Ability to take initiative and exercise sound judgment;
- Basic knowledge of campus community;
- Must have experience and strong familiarity with computer applications such as Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Publisher, and Photoshop;
- Must have completed a minimum of 2 semesters at Cal State Fullerton.
- Must have minimum cumulative 2.75 GPA.
- Commit 8 hours per week: 2 hours of research and training; 2 hours preparation; 2 hours dialogue implementation; 1-2 hours program promotion.
Skills Gained Through This Position
- Planning, development, and implementation of diversity dialogue programs.
- Ability to work collaboratively to coordinate programs with volunteers, student organization leaders, faculty, staff, and departments.
- Relationship building with student leaders, faculty and staff.
- Publication design, review, and editing.
- Leadership development and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of university risk management procedures and issues.
- Understanding how to work with university policies and procedures.
- The Multicultural Leadership Center will be open from 8:00am to 5:00pm, Mondays through Fridays.
- Interns will be scheduled to work accordingly, depending on availability. Hours are variable.
- Complete the application (Desserts and Dialogue Intern Application Fall 2012).
- Return the application and supporting materials by September 11, 2012 (earlier preferred) to the Dean of Students Office (TSU 235). Please include a copy of your Fall 2012 course schedule and work availability.
- Participate in an interview for the position. You will be called to arrange an interview time.
The PDF files in this site require Adobe Reader version 9.40 or greater. Click here to get latest Adobe Reader.