Cultural Commencement Interns (4 positions are available; one for each ceremony)
The MLC Interns will work with the Director to implement cultural recognition ceremonies. The MLC collaborates with Cal State Fullerton faculty and staff associations, and cultural/ ethnic student organizations to coordinate culturally-based recognition ceremonies that complement the annual University Commencement activities. These ceremonies celebrate the achievements of our students and highlight the accomplishments of individuals within his or her own cultural group.
Summary of Positions
- Assist with the design, development and implementation of Asian and Pacific Islander, LGBT Pride, Pilipino, and Pan African Student Recognition Ceremonies;
- Assist with the overall management and marketing of the program;
- Assist with publication development for each ceremony;
- Oversee the reservation process and make weekly updates and reports;
- Participate in ceremony planning committee meetings;
- Participate as ceremony volunteer on the following dates:
- Saturday, May 11, 2013 - Asian and Pacific Islander Graduate Ceremony
- Thursday, May 16, 2013 - LGBT Lavender Pride Ceremony
- Friday, May 17, 2013 – Pilipino Graduation Celebration (P-Grad)
- Saturday, May 18, 2013 – Pan African Student Recognition Ceremony
- Saturday, May 18, 2013 - Chicano/Latino Native American Graduation Celebration
- Keep constant communication with director
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Strong time management, organizational, and event planning skills;
- Strong marketing and program promotion skills;
- Ability to work with diverse groups;
- Ability to deal with ambiguity;
- Ability to take initiative and exercise sound judgment;
- Must have experience and strong familiarity with computer applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, and Photoshop;
- Must have completed a minimum of 2 semesters at Cal State Fullerton;
- Must have minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA.
Skills Gained Through This Position
- Networking with current students, faculty and staff;
- Collaboration with on campus organizations and faculty/staff associations;
- Increased knowledge of the campus community;
- Enhanced awareness of cultural celebrations;
- Program planning and implementation skills;
- Assessment and evaluation skills
- The Multicultural Leadership Center will be open from 8:00am to 5:00pm, Mondays through Fridays.
- Interns will be scheduled to work accordingly, depending on availability. Hours are variable.
- Complete the application. (Culture Commencement Intern Application Fall 2012)
- Return the application and supporting materials by Friday, December 7, 2012 (earlier preferred) to the Dean of Students Office (TSU 235). Please include a copy of your semester course schedule and work availability.
- Participate in an interview for the position. You will be called to arrange an interview time.
The PDF files in this site require Adobe Reader version 9.40 or greater. Click here to get latest Adobe Reader.