Associate Degrees for Transfer (AA-T / AS-T)
The Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act (SB 1440) establishes a Transfer Associate of Arts (AA-T) or Associate of Science (AS-T) degree for California Community College students and is designed to provide a clear pathway to the CSU degree major. It allows students to complete an Associate’s degree while satisfying lower division general education and major requirements for transfer at the same time.
It is important that students contact their local community college for information on meeting the requirements for a Transfer Associate of Arts (AA-T) or Associate of Science (AS-T) degree.
What is required for admission consideration for Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T and AS-T) students?
CSU Fullerton is an impacted campus at the transfer level. Thus, admission to all majors at CSU Fullerton is competitive and to ensure that capacity is not exceeded, more rigorous standards are applied to the transfer applicant pool.
All transfer students must declare a major when submitting their admission application. For the Associate Transfer Degree (AA-T or AS-T) to be used in the admission process, the following must be met:
- The student must be pursuing an approved Associate Transfer Degree (AA-T or AS-T) program at a California Community College.
- The Admission Application must be submitted by the application deadline.
- Fall deadline: November 30th
- Spring deadline: August 31st
- See the approved transfer pathways at adegreewithaguarantee.com.
- The student must apply to that corresponding major at CSU Fullerton.
- The Community College must certify the student is on-track to complete the Associate Transfer Degree (AA-T or AS-T) prior to the term they are applying to enter CSU Fullerton. A student can submit a petition to graduate (degree evaluation), verification form, or a transcript (unofficial or official) that shows the degree completed or in-progress.
- Fall admission: AA-T or AS-T degree must be completed no later than the prior Summer. Verification of degree is completed or in-progress must be received by April 1st.
- Spring admission: AA-T or AS-T degree must be completed no later than the prior Fall. Verification of degree is completed or in-progress must be received by November 8th
How do I obtain verification of the Associate of Transfer Degree (AA-T or AS-T) in-progress or completed?
1. Submit your petition to graduate (degree evaluation) to your community college. The petition should be submitted to the appropriate department at your community college which completes these evaluations. Community colleges have adjusted their scheduled degree reviews for students pursuing these degrees. Community colleges will complete these degree reviews by October 22nd for Spring admission.
2. Submit a copy of the completed degree evaluation document from your community college to the CSU Fullerton Admissions office by no later than November 8th. Other forms that area acceptable are verification forms or transcripts showing your AA-T or AS-T degree completed or in-progress.
You are responsible for submitting a copy of the degree status evaluation form from your community college to CSU Fullerton. You are also responsible for submitting your final, official community college transcript showing completion of the AA‐T/AS‐T degree by the February 17th deadline. If, for any reason, you will not be completing an AA‐T or AS‐T, please inform the CSU Fullerton Admission office.
How will the Associate for Transfer Degree (AA-T or AS-T) be used in determining admission eligibility?
If the requirements above have been met, then:
- Student must meet the entering GPA for the term. CSU Fullerton is impacted at the local level as well as major impacted. Thus, under current CSU guidelines, the student’s cumulative GPA will be increased by 0.1 and this ‘calculated GPA’ will be applied to the major specific minimum GPA and to any GPA used in the ranking of applicants.
- Student in good standing at the last college or university attended (eligible to re-enroll).
- Student must have earned 60 or more transferable semester units (90 or more quarter units).
- Students must complete the Golden Four courses by the term deadline.
- Fall deadline: Golden Four courses completed no later than the end of the Spring term.
- Spring deadline: Golden Four courses completed no later than the end of the Summer term.
- For additional requirements please review Transfer Admission Requirements page.
How will the Associate for Transfer Degree (AA-T or AS-T) be used in determining my graduation requirements?
Students who have completed an approved Associate Transfer Degree (AA-T or AS-T) program deemed 'similar' to their CSU Fullerton major are eligible to graduate in 60 units. The exact pathway to complete the specific major will depend on the specific AA/AS curriculum. The 60 unit graduation option will obviously not be possible if the student changes majors or elects to add any additional degree objective, such as a second major or minor. It is highly recommended students have a consultation with their Department academic advisor or visit the Academic Advisement office.
Additional Associate for Transfer Degree (AA-T or AS-T) Information
- Review California Community Colleges Associate Degrees for Transfer for general information on the California Community Colleges Associate Degrees for Transfer.
- Contact your community college transfer center for information on meeting the requirements for an Associate for Transfer Degree (AA-T or AS-T) and to determine the degree programs deemed similar to CSU Fullerton majors.
- Make sure to adhere to all CSU Fullerton deadlines.