Time Management Tips
A balanced lifestyle is a positive outcome of effective time management
- Be realistic with yourself regarding how much you can actually accomplish in a given time period
- Realize that all tasks are not equally important and set priorities on a
daily, weekly and/or monthly basis
- Once you have prioritized your tasks, make a 'to-do' list and work through the items on your list in priority order
- Be aware of your peak energy periods and plan to do activities, which
require a high level of concentration and performance, during those times
- Ask yourself "What's the best use of my time right now?" and focus on that particular activity
- Remember that striving for perfection takes a lot of time and is technically unachievable- complete tasks well enough to get the results you need
- Realize that many tasks/responsibilities can be delegated to others. Be sure to communicate your expectations clearly
- Fine-tune your ability to say 'NO' to additional responsibilities that infringe on your personal, work and leisure time
- Make basic decisions quickly to save your energy for more important and difficult decisions
- Approach overwhelming responsibilities with a positive attitude
- If you have an unpleasant task, do it first and get it out of the way. Then reward yourself for accomplishing it.
- Break large tasks into smaller, achievable ones
- Set goals and reward yourself when you accomplish them
- Always remind yourself of the benefits you'll derive from task completion
- Take control of your environment at home and/or work to establish a conducive place for task involvement and completion
- Expect interruptions, but come up with methods of dealing with them quickly and get back to your high priority work
- Schedule in some fun, leisure time
- Allow flexibility in your schedule
This site is maintained by the Cal State Fullerton, Academic Advisement Center and has been developed for undergraduate students only.Report problems to the AAC Website Coordinator.
This site may contain links to web sites not administered by California State University, Fullerton or one of its divisions, schools, departments, units or programs. California State University, Fullerton is not responsible or liable for the accuracy or the content of linked pages.
California State University, Fullerton. ęCopyrights, All Rights Reserved.